14 March 2012

Sunday afternoon


I did this a couple of weeks ago and forgot to post it, apparently.  Can't imagine how that happened!  Ha.

upper right corner (Dremel)
This was just for fun on a Sunday afternoon--nothing serious and playing around with something new.  I believe this was one of the first projects in Flavors for Mixed Media, but I combined techniques from this one and a later one.  It's done on two Claybord panels with NO PAINT.
mountain lines done with knife blade

First I made various marks in the clay surface with my Scratchbord knife and my Dremel tool with a couple of different attachments.  I think then I rubbed soft pastels into different parts of the boards and fixed them by applying gel medium over the top.  After that, I added more shading & depth of color with oil pastels.
deep gouges made with Dremel
(kind of on accident but it worked okay)
It was a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.  I like the grid layout and plan to use that more often.