24 September 2012

"Idea of a Leaf"

Idea of a Leaf


Last week while walking home from the bus stop, my third-grade daughter stopped and backtracked to pick up a leaf lying on the sidewalk.  She thought it was beautiful and unusual, and I agreed with her.

The leaf sat on our piano for most of the week, refusing to leave my mind.  Eventually I started playing with the ideas presented to me by the humble leaf.

The original inspiration
At the top of this entry is one version, done on a wood panel with India inks, Derwent Watercolour pencils, and Golden fluid acrylics.  It started off with just India inks added to an unprimed wood panel (Dr. Ph. Martin's Bombay India inks, specifically).

India inks only (no acrylics yet) with a few touches of watercolour pencil for definition

My palette of fluid acrylics
As I was painting it, I was struck by how much the patterns of color on the leaf resembled those of a butterfly.  Maybe I will explore that a little bit in another study.

I am not entirely certain this one is done--the leaf seems it might need a little something more, although right now I am not sure what--and I am going to let it take up occupation of the dining room with me for a while until I know for sure one way or the other.