Yet I was still strangely reluctant to begin. But I am sick of tiptoeing around this, I want to get the book done and its parts off my dining room table, and I need to get it done pronto so I can make a quick trip journal for our long-weekend-vacation that we leave on in one week exactly. So, no more delaying.
But . . . I still wasn't ready to poke holes and blaze forth. I have decided to be an adult about this and actually do a prototype. In general I never do those--waste of time and materials--but if I screw up my nice book covers, I will be disappointed, so I thought some practice might actually be in order here. I grabbed a piece of scrap kraft card stock and some linen thread I picked up from WalMart for 99 cents, intending it for just such an occasion as this (i.e., one not to waste the good supplies on). I used a candle flame to bend myself a second curved needle, and I used a black Copic marker to color half of the thread black in order to replicate using two different colors of thread. (In reality, I just cut one long piece of thread and put needles on each end.)
I am encouraged by this!