16 August 2012

Handmade paper, Golden airbrush paint, and Prismacolor pencils


The Billericay library had a fantastic item I was able to check out while there earlier this month--Embroidered Books, by Isobel Hall. I made a bunch of notes from it and did this fun little thing while my son is playing Axis and Allies with his friend this afternoon.

To strengthen and reduce the porousness of the handmade paper I made many months ago, I painted it with Golden Airbrush paint (Phthalo Green Blue Shade)--Ms. Hall had suggested Procion silk dye, but I don't have any of that. After drying, I used Jet Black Archival Ink to stamp a Magenta image. Then I colored the image with Prismacolor pencils (canary yellow, Spanish orange, orange, yellowed orange, yellow ochre, carmine red, and grass green), finishing up with a burnishing pencil. I added Glossy Accents over the center flower--it's not dry yet in the picture.

This medallion would look nice on the cover of a small notebook, methinks. I like the look of the stamped ink and the colored pencils on the hamdmade paper.