02 January 2012

Starting on Traci Bautista's Strathmore online workshop--week 1

While my husband took the kids to see The Adventures of Tintin this afternoon, I got stuck in to week 1 of the online Strathmore workshop by Traci Bautista. This is what I have so far:


It is a lot different from hers in that the colors seem more muted, possibly because I have more of a analogous color scheme and have not done the contrasting bold colors that she uses.

I hope that I might find time to do this again this week (once I finish this effort, of course!), thinking about what I liked and didn't about this go. One thing I noticed is that I have fewer shapes and a lot more lines than Traci does. Do I like that, or should I work on adding blocks of color and closed outlines? Another run at this would take me further towards answering that question.

I'd also like to try with something more like her color palette to see if I like what results from it.  Maybe this is just the way I roll at this time.

The light blue oil pastel in the upper left corner is something I particularly like, as is the masked 3-leaf shape just below the center (outlined with India ink).  I need to remember next time to leave more lighter areas the first couple of times around with the spray bottles.

Also, I think I'd like to work a little bigger, although I suppose the drawback there is it would take longer. This felt cramped to me--I had more I wanted to do!  And it's a Strathmore Visual Journal Bristol Smooth 9x12" notebook.  12x18" definitely sounds better.

Something else I need to give some thought to is what symbols or shapes I want to use.  Traci uses circles & ovals in the demo video--should I try that, or something else?  How about rectangles & squares, some overlapping?  Or leaves, as here?

One final thing I want to note that I have learned so far is that I need to not start out too detailed.  I am rushing the end . . . never a good idea!  I think that's because I am a little worried about how it's going to turn out, which is another reason I really want to make time to do another one this week.  I need practice trusting that it will all come together in the end.  And if it doesn't (perish the thought), then I need to know that so I can address it.

Frankly, in general this seems a little busy to me.  I am interested to see what it looks like once I've gone through all her steps.  Hers certainly came together, so I am hopeful about mine.