15 January 2012

Week 2 of Traci Bautista's Strathmore workshop

This time I did my first go in the Strathmore Visual Journal (9x12", Bristol) before moving on to the 18x24" Strathmore Mixed Media paper.

For both pieces I used the following:
tube watercolors--Royal Talens ArtCreation (Cobalt Blue, Violet, Scarlet, and Vermilion)
watercolor crayons--Caran d'Ache (Sapphire Blue, Turquoise)
watercolor pencils--Derwent (Ultramarine)
liquid watercolor spray--StampZia Chroma Spray (Cherry)
acrylic ink--Daler Rowney FW (Process Magenta)
acrylic paint--Golden Fluid Acrylics (Titanium White)
gel sticks--Faber-Castell

When I did the second side of the Mixed Media paper, I switched to the new SoHo tube watercolors from Jerry's Artarama: alizarin crimson, permanent rose, cobalt blue, and then I tried to make a violet by mixing some cadmium red into the cobalt blue. Actually that did not work so well! I ended up using ultramarine blue with cadmium red. Also used a bit of New Gamboge Yellow.

Of course, I was so excited to have some time to myself this afternoon (on a Sunday when the family is home!!) that I cut up the 18x24" mixed media sheet before taking pictures of the second side.  Duh.  But I don't think that matters, now that I write about it, because the whole point of the exercise was to decorate a whole sheet at once that was going to get cut up into smaller pieces.  Well I tell you, what I got out of this single sheet was amazing.  Got the Vagabond up & running and cut the following:

four baroque shapes for a mini-book (later cut covers out of white presentation board) attached with book rings . . .

some large tags . . .

some regular rectangles that I can use as either card panels or book pages . . .

and with the leftovers I also cut a small tag, a couple of reinforcements, a little picture tab, and many, many inchies!